This project is co-funded by the European Union

News & Events

Press Release & Articles

LOCOMACHS featured in Clean Sky's Skyline magazine

Maria Weiland was invited to present LOCOMACHS in the March edition 2016 (n°18) of Clean Sky's Skyline magazine. The article can be found on page 9.


Variation Simulation During Assembly of Non-rigid Components. Realistic Assembly Simulation with ANATOLEFLEX Software
14th CIRP CAT 2016 - CIRP Conference on Computer Aided Tolerancing


  Partner map

The LOCOMACHS project aims to develop and demonstrate the feasibility of new part production manufacturing and assembly operations of composite and hybrid aero-structures parts. To achieve the ambitious LOCOMACHS objectives, it is necessary to gather expertise in a wide range of skills, and, in order to reach the highest possible impact, the main stakeholders in the field.

The LOCOMACHS Consortium has been drawn up in this spirit and gathers 30 partners covering the full range of the value chain, from early design and development (process, method, software and hardware tools providers), to skills and facilities needed for manufacturing and assembly. Such a coherent set of competencies would be very difficult to find at national level with the same level of expertise in all fields.

The consortium include:

  • Prime OEM aircraft manufacturers, as well as several tier-one and tier-two suppliers to European and overseas prime OEM aircraft manufacturers.
  • Research institutes like Airbus Group Innovations, DLR and NLR, that will provide state of the art knowledge within composite material and manufacturing. Other institutes like the MTC and TECNALIA will contribute with research skills and hardware for demonstrations within the area of assembly automation.
  • SME companies like Prodtex and SONAXIS have unique competences within assembly tooling and NDI/NDT respectively.
  • Universities from several European countries, each of them internationally recognized for the quality of their scientific work,  like ENS Cachan and CTH, who possess the most advanced computer aided systems and skills for geometrical variation management.  


Nationaal Lucht- en Ruimtevaartlaboratorium

Nationaal Lucht- en Ruimtevaartlaboratorium

Further Information :

Organizational Activities

The National Aerospace Laboratory NLR (Nationaal Lucht- en Ruimtevaartlaboratorium) is one of the Dutch Major Technological Institutes which perform a large part of the applied research in the Netherlands, each within its own specific technology field. As an independent non-profit organisation, NLR is the central institute for aerospace research in The Netherlands. Over two-thirds of the staff are graduates from universities or technical colleges, with a large variety in specialised professions such as aircraft engineers, psychologists, mathematicians and physicists. Research and development work is carried out on a project basis with great synergy between divisions and departments. Strong emphasis is laid on a customer oriented approach. Work under research contracts (national and international, government and industry) amounts to 75% of NLR’s activities, the remaining 25% is funded by the Dutch government for basic demand-oriented research programmes and development of research equipment. Depending on the project and the customer’s preferences, NLR acts as a sole contractor or as a subcontractor cooperating with other institutes or partners from industry.  NLR is member of the Advisory Counsel for Aeronautics (ACARE) and is involved in many EU projects.

Role in the Project

Within LOCOMACHS NLR is involved in Sub Projecs 1, 2 and 4. For SP 1 NLR will perform prohabilistic simulations using the RAP++ tool developed by NLR. In SP1 NLR studies the integration of structures like stiffening concepts with integration of skin and stifening iso-grid structure. Within SP2 novel joining and inspection technologies with co-cured stiffening concepts including tooling to simplify manufacturing. Within WP44 NLR will contribute with tooling and know-how to the manufacture of a wing skin with integrated stringers spars.

Key skills